A little bit about us.
This site was created on 13th August, 1998, by two brothers (Nick and Steve), to help the gardeners of Britain, enjoy their gardens more.
Steve was a landscape gardener, with over 18 years experience in garden design, service and maintenance. He now lives and works just outside Melbourne, Australia, where he runs a company specialising in promotional products with a growing theme. [seedsticks.com.au]
Nick has worked in the computer industry for the last 30 years, including 6 years as an Internet manager for a large corporation and the last 21 years as a freelance web designer.
We hope you enjoy visiting the site and have found the information useful, if you would like to volunteer to donate please click the PayPal donate button. There is no minimum or expected amount, but the price of a cup of coffee and a biscuit would be nice. Any donation will be gratefully received.
A few links to charitable organisations:
- Butterfly Conservation [A UK based site]
- The National Trust A UK conservation charity, protecting historic buildings, gardens and parks. [A UK based site]
- The National Gardens Scheme
The National Garden Scheme (NGS) is a scheme where gardens, many of which are privately owned, are opened to the public in aid of charity. In 2015 they donated £2.5 million to nursing, caring and gardening charities, in 2016 they donated £3 million to Macmillan Cancer Support and Marie Curie. They celebrated their 90th anniversary in 2017.
The NGS president is Mary Berry, who has opened her garden under the scheme for the last 20 years. There are over 3,500 gardens open this year, they can be found in the scheme's 'Yellow Book'. These yellow covered information booklets containing lists of gardens open in your county, along with their opening dates and times, are available in tourist information centres, local libraries, bookstores and garden centres or visit the NGS website ngs.org.uk.[A UK based site]
- Thrive A national charity that is local to us. Thrive help elderly, those that have suffered a stroke or heart attack or have a disabilty learn about gardening and its therapeutic effects . [A UK based site]
- The Wildlife Trusts 47 individual Wildlife Trusts working across the UK to protect wildlife and their habitats. [A UK based site]
- The Woodland Trust The Woodland Trust is the UK's leading conservation charity dedicated to the protection of our native woodland heritage. [A UK based site]
- The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust is the largest international wetland conservation charity in the UK [A UK based site]
- The Rainforest Site Donate to buy and protect rainforest land. Or just click to donate. [A USA based site]